To Breathe Another Day

Welcome to my blog. There are many reasons I am starting to blog : to connect with others, to , hopefully, help others who are struggling with health or life in general, and to get some help with accountability. I have to accept what I can't change and be held accountable for what I need to do to live. If I say I am going to do something, ask me if I am doing it. Really, ask me. I want your feedback. I want to live and be as healthy as I can be.

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Truth

This is the first time I have ever blogged or written anything personal for others to see. So, bear with me while I work on telling you the TRUTH. I don't always like what I see in myself if I'm being honest. I can be very stubborn, selfish, and self-centered. But, then again, I don't always see the positive either.

I have some truths, physically, that are often hard to face, also. This might take a while, but I'm going to tell it all in one sitting. LOL

In May of 2000 I was diagnosed with Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. This is a rare lung disease for which there is know known cure YET. It is terminal. I'm on a medication called Flolan that helps me stay ahead of the disease's progression, but it doesn't cure it.

 Next, in 2001 I was diagnosed with a bone marrow disorder called Myelofibrosis.  The only cure is a bone marrow transplant. I've had many transfusions because of this disease. I have trouble making blood, therefore, my white count doesn't raise when I have an infection.

Third, the Flolan medication gave me Grave's disease, a thyroid disease. Because of this I took radioactive iodine.  It didn't do any good.  I still had thyroid problems.  I think I was diagnosed with this in 2002.  It plays a big role in my health later on.

My doctors did not think I would live but 3 to 5 years depending on which doc you talked to. The day I was diagnosed with pph, the doctor said that he wished he was here to tell me that I have cancer. Then he told me what it was and it sounded just like ordinary hypertension. Big deal, I thought. So I'll take a pill and be fine. I can be that responsible. Then he says "I can put you on this new medication. It's a continuous IV of medicine. It's called Flolan. If you decide to use this medication, you could live up to 5 years. If you do not wish to try it, you could die in 3 months".  Whoa! 3 months? I'll take the Flolan. That was 11, ELEVEN YEARS AGO next month!!  Go me! LOL  Actually, it's Go God!! 

In 2009 I was going through testing to get on the list for lung transplant.  I did really well, except they found something in my heart they called a Myxoma.  I'd never heard of it.  Mom looked it up, and it said it's a gelatenous tumor shaped like broccoli.  It grows slowly and can break off easy.  This sucks!   So my Pulmonologist talked to the "Board".   They agreed that the best way to deal with this ugly piece of broccoli is to do open heart surgery when they do the lung transplant. The doctors are afraid I wouldn't make it through open heart surgery in my condition.  By the way, I always forget that I have Congestive Heart Failure because of the PPH.

So the plan at this point is to get me on that transplant list.  I went to see my doc to find out if I was ok'd, and he said I needed to take a medicine for 3 months and then they will put me on the List. I was so excited. Because of all my junk, I never thought they would approve me. This is something I had dreamed about for so long. So, on to my next appt., just a yearly check-up with my thyroid doctor. No problemo.

Remember the radioactive iodine? 

So I go to my next appointment. Everything seems to be going well until he wants my mom to come back to the room. He never wants that. He always makes her stay in the waiting room. That's why I like him. (Mom knows how I feel) He precede's to tell us that this little bump on the front of my neck has grown considerably since last year. I never even noticed. He did a biopsy right there in the office, and one day later I found out I had Thyroid Cancer.  Ugh!  That meant that I couldn't get on the lung transplant list for at least 3 years.  I was so close.  I really felt defeated.

Now, I only have one more year of waiting. I can be tested again in 2012.

I, also, have asthma. I forgot to mention it. Actually, I'm sick right now because of it.

I feel strange telling all this.  I wanted to get all my physical 'stuff' out of the way today.   I don't want sympathy.  I hate that!  I don't like it when people tell me their sorry that I'm sick. But, I understand why they say it.  They don't know what they can do to help me. 

This is what you can do. Read my blog and tell me the truth.  I want to be the best person I can be physically, spiritually, and emotionally.  There are a lot of things I should be doing to improve myself physically and spiritually that I'm not doing.  I don't want to face the consequences.  I need accountability. We all do.

From now on I guess I'll just write like I do in my journal.  I'll figure it out as I go.  I look forward to hearing from ya'll.  It's important to me also that this could help some one else.  I know I'm not alone with illness or the only one who needs help spiritually. 

Thanks, Michelle

P.S. I think I have all my facts correct.  There is so much to remember, I sometimes get confused.

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! You have been through so much it makes me want to slap myself for whining about little things. I love you Michelle. I won't say I'm sorry but I will tell you the truth YOU FREAKIN ROCK! I will also say this blog is very well written. I'm sure it will help many and I think it's great you are sharing your story. I think you are a wonderful person and have an amazing spirit! I know all of us feel like we could be doing more as a Christian or things for our health, but I think you are doing pretty dang good Cuz! I love you so much and I'm so glad we can keep in contact so much now through Facebook. I love being able to feel so close again even though we live so far away.
Love you, Amber
((( HUGS )))

Chelle said...

AMAZING STORY,Michelle.....you did an awesome job in telling your story, if you don't mind I want to share this with my doctor that I work for he would be blessed and amazed to hear your story. You have something that most don't and that is strength and courage and amazing FAITH!! You keep doing what your doing and thank you for your story, these stories makes some of us realize that our problems are NOTHING compared yours or anyone else like you. Look forward to hearing more from you!!!!

Michelle Foster Greenhaw

Uncle Eddie said...

Dear neice, what a great story, and very well written. It takes courage to write something like this about yourself, all who read it will gain some courage and encouragement from your story. I have found you to be an amazing person, one whom I love very much, your one of my most favorite people. Though I don't get to see you as often as I used to, I think of you often and keep you in my daily prayers. I cherish the time we spent together, talking about things we had in common, even though there is a considerable age difference. I look forward to reading additions to your story. Aunt Nancy & I love you, you're quite a woman. Great Uncle Eddie

Anonymous said...

You are so young to have gone through so much, my oldest son is your age. I will be praying for you, it is a difficult time for "respiratory" problems here in Oklahoma. My daughter-in-law has also been going through the thyroid storm,recently.... and has taken the radioactive iodine to "kill her thyroid" she was having so many symptoms, before the doctors finally figured out what was wrong.....KEEP THE FAITH MICHELLE, and I will pray for your continued strength and to FIGHT THESE physical PROBLEMS.....God is always with us HE STATES IN
ISAIAH 41.10...Fear Not for I am With you, Be not Dismayed, for I am your God, I will stregthen you, I will help you and uphold you with my Righteous Right Hand. God Bless You My Dear.....Sherry

Anonymous said...

Michelle, you don't know me, but I know your mom!! I am an Insurance agent in Oklahoma City. Your mom has told me alot about you and I am in aw of your story. You are an Amazing Women and a fighter!! I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers!! One day we will all be made new no more pain or sorrow and I look forward to meeting are Savior and Lord!! You are a blessing to your family and to others who do not know you!! I am blessed to have gotten to know your Mom! Keep fighting the fight!!! Shannon